Monday, June 02, 2008

Would You Want to Know if You Were Going to Get Alzheimer's?

My Grandfather on my mother's side of the family died of Alzheimer's. It took him 16 years to do it. My mother cared for him the whole time and basically lost those years of her own life.

Of course, I think about the possibility that I might be in line for it. Thank God, there are no signs as of yet (though my wife might dispute that). I work crossword and Sudoku puzzles on a regular basis and take my Ginko Bilabo (for my tinnitus also).

I read recently that there is going to be an over the counter lab test to determine your propensity for the disease. You know from reading my articles on here, that I am certain about a lot of things in life, well this isn't one of them.

My gut feeling is to want to know so I could prepare, because I don't want my wife or kids to have to go through the hell others have gone through. I have long term care insurance, which I recommend to anyone that can get it, and that should go a long way. I have also set out my wishes in writing and everyone knows that I don't want to be a burden for this or anything else.

What do you think? Do you want to know your possibility of having this disease, or any other for that matter?

Trying to be prepared,

The Hammer

Copyright Crickard Publishing 2008. All rights Reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory EatonWeb Blog Directory